With hot temps in the offing, we’re offering up some places to find cool relief this week so you can avoid air-conditioned "cabin fever."
1. , Elk Grove Regional Park: Enjoy recreational swimming Monday through Thursday from 1:15 to 4:15 p.m., and Saturday and Sunday from 12-5 p.m. Swimmers ages five and older are only $3; admission for children ages two through four is $1.
2. , 9014 Bruceville Road: Three pools are better than one, and Wackford delivers on fun. This complex has a kids' pool featuring a waterslide, a small "preschool pool" and a lap pool for adults. Hours are 12 to 5 p.m. daily. Kids ages two through four get in for $3, swimmers age five and up are $5.
3. , 8561 Elk Grove Boulevard: Try a tasty cone from this local favorite and dress it up with a sweet topping. The shop is open from noon to 9 p.m. Sunday through Thursday and noon to 9:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday. The tiger posters inside make this spot especially cool.
4. , 9660 Elk Grove Florin Road: Ever heard of drive-thru yogurt? The proof's right here at Zehnder's, where you can get a cappuccino and pretzel with your snow cone. No car? No worries -- just try the walk-up window. Hours are 1:30 to 8:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, and 1:30 to 6:30 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays.
5. , 8900 Elk Grove Boulevard: Here’s what’s great about visiting the library on a hot day: free air conditioning and free reading materials. On Wednesday at 3:30 p.m., learn more about the music of Hawaii from the Ohana Dance Group.